The MPH Program
Since 2013, the Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHSPH), Baltimore, Maryland, USA in partnership with the Institute of Health Management Research University (IIHMR) has been offering its Master of Public Health (MPH) degree program in Jaipur, India, for Indian students as well as those from surrounding countries. This prestigious program is designed with the following objectives:
- To cultivate students' health management skills so that they will be prepared to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of public health programs and services
- To enhance the capabilities of public health professionals in countries of the Global South.
- To prepare professionals for challenging careers in public health management in the public and private sectors, non-governmental organizations, as well as national and multinational organizations
MPH Program Overview
The Master of Public Health degree program is two-years long. The coursework includes on-campus and online classes, a capstone exercise, and a practicum experience, all cumulatively totaling 80 credits. On-campus courses will begin at IIHMR Jaipur. The Students will travel to Baltimore, Maryland, for a 2-week winter session at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA. The MPH program 2017-2019 (cohort-5) will commence in October 2017.
The curriculum is structured to build knowledge, develop skills and provide exposure to real-world situations in Public Health. Courses will be taught by distinguished faculty members from JHSPH and IIHMR University who have contributed to meeting the challenges of Public Health and Health Care Management nationally and internationally.
The pedagogy for each course is selected judiciously, and consistently encourages the students to learn experientially, by helping them to relate concepts and theories to authentic Public Health Management systems. The program aims to develop students’ competencies in the following core areas:
- Environmental Health Sciences
- Public Health Biology
- Health Management and Functional Management
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Public Policy
The Johns Hopkins University-IIHMR University Master of Public Health (MPH) has been designed by leveraging the core strengths of both institutions , and is uniquely poised to meet the needs of Indian students as well as those confronting public health challenges in the Global South.
The program combines the JHSPH’s excellence in Public Health education with the IIHMR’s expertise in Health Management Research in South Asia. These strengths are clearly visible in the design of this exciting program.